Sarah Mirk is a social justice-focused writer and artist based in Portland, Oregon.
She began her career as a reporter for alternative weekly newspapers The Stranger and The Portland Mercury, where she covered political issues and numerous colorful characters. From 2013 to 2017, she worked as the online editor of national feminism and pop culture nonprofit Bitch Media. In that role, she edited and published critical work from dozens of writers, ran social media pages with a reach of 1.5 million readers, and hosted the engaging feminist podcast Popaganda, whose 10,000 listeners tuned into episodes on topics ranging from environmental justice to reproductive rights. Starting in January 2017, she moved on to become a story editor at graphic journalism website The Nib, where she writes and edits nonfiction comics about history, politics, and identity.
She is the author of Sex from Scratch: Making Your Own Relationship Rules (Microcosm, 2014) an open-minded guide to dating that now in its second edition. Sarah also writes, draws, and edits print zines and comics, including the popular series Oregon History Comics, which tells little known and marginalized stories from Oregon’s past. She is a frequent political commentator on Oregon Public Broadcasting and has given lectures on feminism, media, and activism at colleges around the country, including at Yale, Skidmore, the University of California-San Diego, and the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
She is an adjunct professor in Portland State University’s MFA program in Art and Social Practice, where she teaches a graduate seminar on writing and research, and holds a degree, with honors, in history from Grinnell College.
In her free time, she makes X-Files fanzines and makes friends with dogs.
Please free to get in touch about anything, anytime.
ILLUSTRATED NEWSLETTER: tinyletter.com/sarahmirk
PRESS COVERAGE OF MY WORK:
- Navigating Non-Monogamy (Oregon Public Broadcasting)
- Love, Sex, and Relationships in an Age Without Definitions (Boing Boing)
- Oregon History Gets a Little Comic Twist (Portland Tribune)
- Sarah Mirk: The Hardest Working Woman in Portland (Gridlords)
- Comics, Sex, and Crush-Worthy Bookshelves with Sarah Mirk (Nerdette - WBEZ)
- Local Author Dishes Out Modern Advice for Modern Relationships (Portland Tribune)
- Bitch Media Editor Gives UW Students Keys to Becoming Successful Activists (The Badger Herald)
- Sarah Mirk Delivers Bitchin' Workshops (Scarlet & Black)
Photos: The photo at the top of this page was taken by Jeremy Francis. Please ask for permission before using it. If you're looking for a high-res portrait to use for promotion or publication, you're welcome to use this one.